Friday, September 18, 2009

For your consideration...


Ghostface Killah's verse from 'Gihad' off of Raekwon's surprisingly excellent Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Part II, which the printed word can hardly do full justice to:

Yo, but on the other side of town it's Tony, laid up/this white chick wanna gargle my nuts/I put the Bailey's down, tapped the blunt out/grabbed her by her hair, watched blondie love whip my dick out/spit drippin' down my balls, she slobber me/that's right, suck that dick, get it hard for me/Pyrex in one hand, large amounts of grams in it rocked up/and she pregnant, my lil' man got her knocked up/he popped up, oh shit/I'm like a crooked cop, Richard Gere/Big smirk on, getting my cock sucked/He pulled the joint out, a bullet spun out/But it was too late/Already nutted on the side of her mouth/Side of her face and hair like Something About Mary/I can't front, my son gun look scary/Chill, she's a whore/You knew it from the time we ran trains on her/And you still fucked her raw/C'mon son, gimme the gun/You gonna kill me over this bum-ass bitch you can't resist?/Remember Vell had her in the 'telly, takin' the fist?/Watch how you aimin' that shit/You should be aimin' at Trish/She take a bone like a rib-eye steak at Ruth Chris/Yo, be easy on the trigger son, you squeezin' the fifth/I only did it just to show you she's the easiest bitch/He came close, had to duff him, ni**a, gimme that shit!
A few points here:
  • I'm nearly certain that Ghost means 'son' as in 'my biological offspring,' not 'a slang term for my close friend'
  • If so, this would be the second song in the Ghostface Killah oeuvre that makes reference to Ghost and his son 'running trains.'
  • Never have I so fervently hoped that that a rap narrative isn't depicting an actual event that has occurred. This includes all of the approximately ten thousand rap songs that describe murder and also that one Notorious B.I.G track where he says that his friend kidnaps kids, fucks them in their asses, and throws them off bridges.
  • The way Ghostface weaves a surrealist bend into standard gangster rap tropes (referencing the obscure 90s Richard Gere vehicle Internal Affairs to describe getting caught in the middle of a blowjob?) is a big part of the reason he's my favorite rapper. He's totally on fire throughout Cuban Linx Part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment